I really liked this dish. Ron said he liked it, but he didn’t react really positively. I will definitely make it again and see if he really likes it. : )
Shrimp with White Beans
- 1 pound extra-large shrimp (21-25) peeled and deveined
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 15 oz cans cannellini beans rinsed
- 2 cups arugula (I used spinach.) chopped coarsely
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (I added this.)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Pat shrimp dry with a paper towel and season it with salt and pepper or herbs of your choice.
- Heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil in a non-stick pan.
- Add the shrimp and cook until it is pink. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 1/4 cup oil in now-empty skillet.
- Add pepper, onion, garlic, nutritional yeast, and pepper flakes.
- Cook until the pepper and onion are softened.
- Add the beans.
- Add the arugula or spinach and cook down.
- Add the lemon juice and stir.
- Serve with crusty bread.
Ron and I are pescatarians. That is a mainly vegetarian diet with seafood added. This recipe would be great even without the shrimp. You could also add a vegan protein substitute.